Programs for Children and Families

It is important to keep children’s spirits high during any difficult time. Whether it be going to a movie or simply playing a game together, a sense of community can go a long way.  To that end, we have compiled a list of organizations (shown below) that work to keep children involved and happy.

  • Camp CoHoLo provides a summer camp experience for kids ages 6-17 diagnosed with cancer and blood disorders, whether they are in treatment or in remission, and it has a full-time medical staff onsite to monitor and meet the health needs of the campers.

  • Camp Quality Heartland provides free 5-day, 4-night summer camp for kids diagnosed with cancer and their siblings, ages 4-18. Every camper is paired with an adult companion for the full week of camp.

  • Children's Hospital & Medical Center's Carolyn Scott Rainbow House is a valuable housing resource that provides a welcoming option to families who live more than 60 miles from Omaha who are being treated at Children's Hospital & Medical Center.

  • Make A Wish of Nebraska grants the wishes of children with life-threatening medical conditions to enrich the human experience with hope, strength and joy.

  • Ronald McDonald House Charities of Omaha provides a home for families with children being treated in the area who live 35 miles away and farther.

Financial Programs

When dealing with cancer, financial issues are one thing you shouldn’t have to worry about. While Angels Among Us can help, we can’t help everyone and we can’t do everything. Below are links to some additional avenues for financial assistance and advice. These are government or national organizations that can prove to be invaluable in keeping your finances in order.

  • Medical costs that are not covered by insurance policies sometimes can be deducted from annual income before taxes. Examples of tax deductible expenses might include mileage for trips to and from medical appointments, out-of-pocket costs for treatment, prescription drugs or equipment, and the cost of meals during lengthy medical visits. The local Internal Revenue Service office, tax consultants, or certified public accountants can determine medical costs that are tax deductible. These telephone numbers are available in the local telephone directory.

  • a jointly funded, Federal-State health insurance program for people who need financial assistance for medical expenses, is coordinated by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), formerly the Health Care Financing Administration. At a minimum, states must provide home care services to people who receive Federal income assistance such as Social Security Income and Aid to Families with Dependent Children. Medicaid coverage includes part-time nursing, home care aide services, and medical supplies and equipment. Information about coverage is available from local state welfare offices, state health departments, state social services agencies, or the state Medicaid office. Check the local telephone directory for the number to call. Information about specific state contacts is also available on the Web site listed below.

  • provides education, legal counseling, and referrals to cancer patients and survivors concerning managed care, insurance, financial issues, job discrimination, and debt crisis matters. The Patient Assistance Program is a subsidiary of the PAF. It provides financial assistance to patients who meet certain qualifications.

  • is a Federal-State partnership that offers low-cost or free health insurance coverage to uninsured children of low-wage, working parents. Callers will be referred to the SCHIP program in their state for further information about what the program covers, who is eligible, and the minimum qualifications.

Powered by